Monday, August 5, 2013

Flying- God is BIG!


I love flying.  And, I always choose a window seat. It amazes me to see the earth from above...cars, houses, churches, schools, roads,rivers, lakes, then higher and things become smaller still and hills morph into mountains often dropping straight into a plain. Lush green becomes brown, then grey rock, climbing into white with snow. There may be  no sign of any type of building for miles....then a cluster. A town! Or, a city... a river snaking along, dumping into a lake. Just now, I am over desert and only see one road...but in the distance I see water, and near that are large squares of farmland.  Oh, and I didn’t mention the clouds. How can water float??
These sights bring all sorts of thoughts, stories, word pictures, song lyrics, even Bible verses to mind. I have wondered what other psalms David, and the other writers might have written had they ever flown, looked through a telescope, or SCUBA dived!   I think Psalm 8 would be even bigger and bolder in speaking of the majesty of the creation! I think there would psalms about clouds, and stars, and tropical fish! Or maybe God just saved all that for US to write new songs.:)
Today on my flight, I am thinking of the BIGNESS of God as I see the earth pass below.  It occurs to me how my problems, struggles, challenges can feel enormous and overwhelming, BUT, from this altitude, I am lifted to another vantage point... I can see a BIGGER PICTURE.  I ask myself, do I really think - believe - the BIG GOD made all this?? Does He truly keep this earth spinning on its axis? Is my life in His hands?  Under His care?  Is it true that “underneath are the everlasting arms” ?    My answer is “YES”.  But I am so very much like Jesus’ disciples who said, “Lord, we believe, but help our unbelief.”  
So today, in view of the BIGNESS of God, I remind myself how small my issues really are in light of His majestic greatness. That does not make them disappear! NO, it just calls me to let Him be the “lifter of my head”.  Raising my eyes above the situation to see how He is working for my good and for His glory, believing...trusting HIm with the issues ‘on the ground’.  2 Cor 4:17 “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.”
And the BIGNESS of God is what I love to share with children. It is the great ADVENTURE in life to see our Father God everywhere! Look around you today with your little one. Romans 1:20 tells us “God’s eternal power and diving nature have been clearly seen in all that has been made,”  I know you will find, “everywhere you look you see, in colors, numbers, ABCs, that God loves you and God loves me.”


Here are lyrics to a new song I hope to record soon for you and your children:

God’s love is BIG , it’s really BIG
It’s great great big big love
It’s not small, not small at all
It’s big big big big big big big big LOVE

God’s love is strong, God’s love is warm
It’s always close to you
It never never goes away
No matter what you do or say....

It’s BIG AS A MOUNTAIN
STRONG AS A LION
WARM AS A SUMMER DAY
WIDE AS THE OCEAN
SWEET LIKE HONEY


GOD’S BIG LOVE WILL ALWAYS STAY!
 

1 comment: